Dishwashers need washing, too
If your dishwasher's job is to wash, you’d think it would stay clean, right? Wrong! Soap scum and food scraps can build up in the filter, making it difficult for your dishwasher to get your dishes squeaky clean.
Luckily, it's quick and easy to give this hardworking appliance some TLC!
Here are 5 quick steps:
1. Start with an empty dishwasher, of course. (Your spouse/partner/roommate will be grateful you put the dishes away, anyway!)
2. Remove the arm , grate, and filter from the bottom of the dishwasher. This is where the majority of the build-up will be. Soak the parts in a sink full of water and 1 cup vinegar, using a toothbrush and/or toothpicks to clear out the gunk.
3. Reassemble the arm, grate, and filter in the dishwasher.
4. Place a bowl of vinegar on the top rack, and run the otherwise empty dishwasher through a full cycle with hot water. This will clear any remaining build-up from hard water.
5. When the cycle has finished, open the door to find a clean dishwasher!
This is a great non-toxic solution for clearing up grime. Long live your dishwasher!